Perform engineering and design duties, which require application of engineering principles. Assignments are closely supervised and are designed to further develop employee’s job knowledge and abilities.
Education / Experience
Bachelor degree in Electrical Engineering from an accredited university, with a power background preferred. Engineer in Training (EIT) certificate or ability to obtain EIT certificate within two years of date of hire. Up to three years of related experience and/or proven knowledge in power engineering and design.
Possess skills in the following areas:
- Knowledge of electrical AC/DC fundamentals
- Basic knowledge of three phase power systems
- Basic knowledge of per-unit mathematics and symmetrical components
- Knowledge of common word processing, spreadsheet, and e-mail software
- Working in a team environment
- Communicating effectively with co-workers, vendors, clients, etc.
Duties & Responsibilities
Employee may be called upon to perform any or all of the following functions:
- Work with project team to create all design documents and drawings for a project, including creating wiring diagrams from schematics, generating bills of materials, and applying field mark-ups of project as-built drawings under direct supervision
- Perform Engineering support tasks such as relay burden, lighting, simplified load flow and short circuit calculations under direct supervision
- Learn and apply engineering application software to complete engineering tasks such as ground grid design, relay coordination, transformer sizing, and load flow and short circuit studies under direct supervision
- Work with project engineer to ensure engineering and design efforts meet project schedule requirements
- Learn and apply engineering standards including NEC, NESC, NEMA, IEEE and ANSI
- Learn and properly use the document management system
- Learn and apply corporate standard engineering practices
- Spend time at job sites to gain hands-on knowledge and additional training in substation construction and design
- Take personal responsibility for the quality and accuracy of his/her work
- Bring potential project-related problems and possible solutions to the attention of the responsible party
- Travel out of town for short periods of time as required by projects and assignments
- Other duties as required